Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Acts 9:1-20

THE CONVERSION OF THE WORST SINNER

“…Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost” (1 Tim 1:15).
            That’s quite a statement to make. This declaration comes from a man who was the subject of the most famous conversion in all of the NT and, many say, in the history of the world. This conversion is regarded as second only to the resurrection of Jesus Christ as the most convincing proof of the Christian faith.
            Google “conversion” and you will find how many milliliters are two cups. Ask Siri on your iPhone and she will tell you what the conversion is from inches to centimeters. Most of us are caught between metric and imperial measurements. But whether you are talking about a cup of vinegar, or 236.59 milliliters of vinegar, it’s still vinegar. The substance has not changed.
            What the conversion of Saul proves is that if the worst of sinners can be brought to faith in Jesus Christ, anyone can be. And the substance of who Saul had been was changed, as the saying goes, from night to day. He was not the same.
            Can we say that the conversion of Saul is typical of all who come to Christ in faith? You may not have seen a bright light or heard the voice of the Lord, and your testimony may not be as dramatic as Saul’s, but his conversion is a template for all conversions.
            There are five stages of conversion in the Acts 9 account that we can learn from. Overall, we will see that the most unlikely of sinners can be transformed by the presence of Christ to be used as an instrument of his grace.

Who you think you are

We do not get a very nice picture of Saul when we first read of him. Saul was present at the stoning of Stephen, guarding the cloaks of the executioners (7:58). He approved of Stephen’s execution (8:1) and went “ravaging the church, and entering house after house, he dragged off men and women and committed them to prison” (8:3).
            That word “ravaging” appears in only one other place, Psalm 80:13 where a wild boar from the forest comes and utterly destroys a vineyard. Saul is being compared to a “wild and ferocious beast;” he is mauling the believers.
            By the time we reach Acts 9 some time has passed, yet we read, “But Saul, still breathing threats and murder…” This man is crazed; he is like a panting and snorting wild beast. Saul’s heart was filled with hatred, his mind poisoned by prejudice, and obsessed by a raging fury.
            Why is this man so mad? When does an animal snort and spit and bear its teeth? Often when it feels threatened.
            Saul was witness to the magnificent testimony and martyrdom of Stephen, servant of Christ. It stung him, I think. How could someone die for this peasant upstart who called himself a rabbi?
            Saul was zealous for the Jewish faith, the temple, the Law, and this sect “The Way” was threatening to undo it all. According to Paul’s own testimony, he believed he was in the right; his cause was just because he was defending Yahweh. Check out his credentials in Phil. 3:5-6. He believed he was on the side of good. He was good.
            Why so defensive then? His conscience was pricked by the death of Stephen. When your lifestyle is threatened, when doubt creeps in, you fight that much harder. As Queen Gertrude said in Hamlet, “The lady doth protest too much, methinks.”[i]
            This is the age old argument of those who resist Christ: But I’m a good person. I love my spouse. I love my family. I believe in equal rights. I stand up for social justice. Sure I have my vices, but my sins are not any worse than hers or his.
            Who you think you are is a smokescreen; who you really are, whether you like it or not, is a sinner in need of saving. "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Rom 3:23).

Who Christ says you are

Saul had the official sanction of the high priest to go to Damascus to root out and arrest the Jesus people there. Why did he need these sanctions? Because when Saul chased the believers out of Jerusalem they fled beyond the borders of Judea, 150 miles north to Syria.
            Just outside the city of Damascus a light from heaven arrests his progress. Saul hears a voice call to him, “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?” Saul had no idea who spoke to him. His use of the term “lord” is more out of respect than recognition. “Who are you, Lord?” The answer is stupendous, “I am Jesus, who you are persecuting.” In that moment, Jesus equated assault on the church as an assault on him personally.
            Who converts whom? Do we decide of our own will to believe in Jesus? Does God elect us to salvation? This is the stuff of theological debates.
            But look at the account: Jesus takes the initiative. Jesus appears to Saul. Jesus commands Saul what to do next. “But rise and enter the city, and you will be told what you are to do.” There is no debate. Jesus does not explain the four spiritual laws to Saul. The presence of the living Christ needed no explanation. Saul now saw himself as he truly was. He was convicted by the person of Jesus Christ. He knew he was a sinner.
            Do we find Jesus? Or does Jesus find us? I think of the Good Shepherd who leaves the 99 to find the one. The shepherd searches the hills and valleys for his sheep and finds it. The sheep is caught in a tangle of thistles – it can’t get loose to save itself. All it can do is cry out. It may choose to keep quiet when the shepherd comes by. But I believe that the shepherd knows where it is all along. Jesus knows where you are; Jesus is closer than you think. In this sense conversion is somewhat mutual. Christ finds you, but you have to admit you need saving. You have to admit you are who Christ says you are.
            Some have debated what happened to Saul on the road. Did he have a stroke? Did he suffer an epileptic seizure? Charles Spurgeon responded to this explanation saying, “O blessed epilepsy! Would that every man in London could have epilepsy like that.”
           
Who you want to be

Can you imagine such an encounter? Meeting Jesus? Wow, that would be life changing.
            Jesus told Saul to enter the city. He’s blind, he’s stunned, yet obedient. In a moment his life has been turned upside down. Saul is now a Christian and subject to Christ’s command. “You are not your own; you are bought with a price.” This is what conversion is: It is a change from thinking you can run your own life, to acknowledging that the One who created life can run it better, and will tell you what to do. Jesus is Lord and he has the right to do that. Conversion is a revolutionary change of government that results in a radical change in behavior.[ii]
            If we don’t realize that Christian faith is a revolution, our temptation will be to try to add Christianity to what we already are, like adding a degree to your title. It's not adding something; it's a total revolution of your life. But you are not a cup of vinegar (or 236.59 ml) any longer, now you are the Master’s wine.
              Saul went into the city with the help of his companions. Then Saul sat eating nothing, drinking nothing, just praying for three days. He contemplates this revolution and considers who he will be, what it means to be “born again.”            
            In one sense conversion is a process. C.S. Lewis in his book Surprised by Joy, shared his own conversion. He wrote, “You must picture me alone in my rooms at Magdalene College, night after night, feeling whenever my mind lifted even for a second from my work the steady, unrelenting hand of Him who approached me, whom I so desired not to meet. That which I greatly feared at last had come upon me. In the Trinity term of 1929, I gave in and admitted that God was God and knelt and prayed and perhaps that night the most dejected and reluctant convert in all of England, this prodigal son was brought in kicking and struggling, resentful with my eyes darting just looking for a place to escape.”
            Putting on Christ in faith is like putting on new clothes that don’t quite feel right. But you grow into them. You want to grow into them. You want what those new clothes represent. You don't want to take them off because you know you have found who you want to be.

Who you become in Christ

While it may be a process on the one hand, conversion is also instantaneous. I want you to know that. When you accepted Christ, you were converted, you became a new creation.
            Ananias was summoned by the Lord to go to Saul. Ananias resisted. He knew Saul’s reputation. He knew that Saul acted brutally against the believers. Going to find Saul was like a Christian surrendering to ISIS. It meant death. But the Lord insists and Ananias goes to Saul.
            When Ananias finds Saul, five beautiful acts of grace take place that symbolize Saul’s change of identity:
First, Ananias finds Saul at the house of Judas and lays his hands on Saul. The laying on of hands symbolizes many things in the Scriptures, healing, imparting of authority, and so on. Here, I believe, Ananias showed tender acceptance of Saul wherein this physical touch had a spiritual impact.
Second, Ananias calls Saul “Brother,” acknowledging that this former enemy of the church of Christ has now become part of the family of God. That must have taken tremendous courage and grace for Ananias to reach out in faith and accept Saul.
Third, Ananias tells Saul that he was sent to restore Saul’s sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit. In the book of Acts we see this deliberate action of imparting the Spirit to impress on us, the readers, the gifting of the Spirit in the life of the believer. When we receive the Holy Spirit at the moment of conversion we are filled with the joy of new birth in Christ.
Fourth, at that moment “immediately something like scales fell from his eyes, and he regained his sight” (9:18). Saul believed that he saw everything perfectly before he met Jesus on the road to Damascus. He claimed to have a perfect view and understanding of God and righteousness, but he was blind to God’s Son. Now, having met Jesus, he could really see. Like the man born blind in John 9 said of Jesus, he didn’t know much about Christ but “One thing I do know, that though I was blind, now I see” (Jn 9:25).
Fifth, Saul was baptized upon his faith in Jesus. Baptism symbolizes the new birth and identifies us with the living Christ. All who believe in the Lord Jesus Christ are to be baptized. It is the next natural step.
           
Who you are going to be

Believing in Christ begins the journey; it is not the end goal. What convinced Ananias to go to Saul, this enemy of the faith, was the Lord’s purpose in calling Saul. “Go, for he is a chosen instrument of mine to carry my name before the Gentiles and kings and the children of Israel. For I will show him how much he must suffer for the sake of my name” (9:16).
            And the same is true of you. You were not called to believe in Christ and then to simply go on your way. You were called for a purpose, to be an instrument of God in whatever way pleases him. You are given a new role, a service to perform in building his kingdom.
            Sometimes it is hard to believe that someone who so opposes Christianity could ever come to faith. And when they do we might be skeptical, wondering if this is some joke. When Charles Colson came to faith in Christ, people were skeptical. Colson had been Richard Nixon’s right hand man in the White House; Colson did Nixon’s dirty work and was a snake in the grass if there ever was one. But Colson met with a colleague named Tom Phillips who was a disciple of Jesus. Colson was hoping to do business with Tom, but Tom shared his faith in Jesus and read passages to him from Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis. Colson thought this religious stuff was pure hokum. But the reading from the chapter on pride in Lewis’ book hit him hard. So did the prayer Tom prayed for Colson. Later that night, Colson broke down in tears at the wheel of his car and offered a prayer of his own. As he climbed into bed, he told his wife, Patty, that he thought he’d had a conversion experience – but he didn’t know what that meant.
            In time, this enemy of Christ became the founder of Prison Fellowship, a ministry that helps prisoners come to Jesus. God loves to take the most unlikely people and transform them into examples of grace. Listen to how Paul describes his conversion in 1 Timothy 1:12-17 (read).

What is your conversion story? When we give testimonies for baptism or membership, we often hear biographies (where we were born, how we were raised). What we need to hear is how Jesus has impacted your life so that you believed in him as the Son of God. And we need to hear how knowing Jesus Christ changes your worldview (how you look at the world, at life).
            Perhaps your story is still a work in progress. You have made a commitment but no one knows that you stand for Jesus. I implore you to take a stand today. Declare today that you believe that what the Bible says about Jesus is true and that you want your life to count for him.

                                                                        AMEN
           
            My story of conversion is much like John Wesley’s in terms of the process.
John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, was already an Anglican pastor, he had served as a missionary in the United States; he was actually trying to be the best godly young minister he could be but he was depressed because he had no sense of his own personal salvation. And he told this to a Moravian friend of his who said to him, “Here’s what you should do. Keep on preaching salvation. One day it will come through to you.” Wesley had the privilege of leading a young prisoner to the Lord Jesus Christ but he still had no peace about his own salvation. So he says that on the morning of May 24, 1738 he got up at five in the morning, opened his Bible, and read this. “There are given to us exceeding great and precious promises, even that you should be partakers of the divine nature.” That night, he went to a meeting at Aldersgate and there was a layman reading from Luther’s commentary on the Romans and he was just reading the preface of this and as he was reading this he was reading where Luther said that God works a change in our hearts through faith in Christ and Wesley said as he was reading this, “I felt my heart strangely warmed and I felt that I really did trust in Christ alone for salvation and assurance was given me that He had taken away my sins.” Wesley marked this as the time of his conversion.
            How does my story parallel Wesley’s? I have known Christ all my life due to parents who were faithful followers of our Lord. I gave myself to Christ at a young age (I believe I was five years old). At that time I had also declared to my parents that I wanted to be like Billy Graham when I grew up.
            As I grew older I drifted from that commitment and declaration until a critical moment when I realized that the path I was following would lead to a dark future. I didn’t do drugs; I was not experimenting with alcohol; I simply saw how far from Christ I had grown. I decided in my mid-teens to follow Christ.
            From then on, God began showing me things, opening doors, and teaching me about his Son through the Word of God. One incredible contributing factor to my spiritual growth was time spent at Red Rock Bible Camp. There I found others who loved the Lord and wanted to serve him. It was at a fireside that I felt the Lord calling me to pastoral ministry. So I mentioned out loud what I felt the Spirit telling me; no one responded. That was not the point. God had called and I answered.
            Years later while fully engaged in pastoral ministry, I was now the lead pastor at the church in which I had trained. I was embittered because of the treatment the Pastor, my mentor and friend, had been subjected to. Now I was in his position as pastor of the church. I had been paired with a young pastor in charge of youth whom I felt was more gifted for pastoral ministry than myself. And I was still single, having failed at a number of relationships. Overall, I felt none of the assurance of my calling with which God had called me in years past. Like Wesley, there was a strong urging to “just keep preaching.”
            As I preached the Lord revealed himself to me. It is a common saying and a good one that those who teach learn more than those who don’t. I learned more than anyone who Jesus Christ was because I studied him and proclaimed him. I confess that I am still learning. And the assurance I was missing concerning God’s love for me came through a similar reading of Romans, as Wesley came to understand, that God loved me when I was yet his enemy. How much more does he love me now. And more so when we get to Romans 8:38 we find that nothing can separate us from the love of God, not even our own doubts and misgivings.
            God continues to bless me and reveal himself to me. I have a lovely wife and two wonderful children. And I continue to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ, even when it hurts to do so. That blessed woundedness is beyond explanation. You want to run from it and to it at the same time. The love of Christ compels me.

                                                            D.G. Klassen
           




[i] Shakespeare’s Hamlet, Act 3, Scene 2
[ii] Ray Stedman

No comments:

Post a Comment